[JURIST] A US military judge on Monday granted [order, PDF] the government's request for a 60-day continuance [JURIST report] in the trial of five Guantanamo Bay detainees accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks [JURIST news archives]. Judge Stephen Henley granted the delay in the case of self-proclaimed architect of the attacks Khalid Sheikh Mohammed [BBC profile; JURIST news archive], Ramzi bin al-Shibh [JURIST news archive], and three others, noting that the defendants do not oppose the delay. This is the government's third continuance in the case, having been granted 120-day continuances in January and May [JURIST reports]. Pentagon prosecutors said Attorney General Eric Holder will decide by November 16 [Miami Herald report] whether to continue the military commission proceedings or to transfer the case to federal court.
While the Obama administration decides what to do with Guantanamo detainees who are under investigation or who have been charged with crimes, a number of former detainees are being relocated around the globe in order to meet the January deadline for closing the facility. Last week, Hungary said that it would take one Guantanamo detainee [JURIST report]. Earlier this month, three Chinese Uighur Muslims agreed to be relocated to the Pacific island nation of Palau, and two more agreed [JURIST reports] over the weekend. In late August, Portugal accepted two Syrian nationals , and five other EU members agreed [JURIST reports] to give serious consideration to receiving former detainees.