[JURIST] The Joint Task Force [official website] responsible for reviewing the Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archives] detainees on Monday released a list [text, PDF] of 78 detainees cleared for transfer. The list contains the nationalities and the number of detainees to be released but does not specifically identify the detainees by name. It also does not list where these detainees will ultimately be transferred. The list, written in Arabic, English, and Pashto was initially posted around the Guantanamo prison [AP report] in an apparent effort to communicate directly with the detainees. The list may include the three detainees whose transfers were announced [JURIST report] by the US Department of Justice [official website] on Saturday. Two Uzbek detainees were released to Ireland as part of a deal with the US government and one Yemeni national was released back to Yemen.
While the Obama administration decides what to do with Guantanamo detainees who are still under investigation or who have been charged with crimes, a number of former detainees are being relocated around the globe. Last week, the US said that it plans to transfer up to eight Uighur detainees [JURIST report] to Palau, which has agreed to accept all but one of the remaining 13 Uighur detainees. Earlier this month, Hungary said that it would take one Guantanamo detainee [JURIST report] who is not under investigation by the US and who cannot return to his home country. In late August, Portugal accepted two Syrian nationals, and five other EU members agreed [JURIST reports] to give serious consideration to receiving former detainees.