Ex-Guantanamo detainee Jawad to sue US government over alleged mistreatment

[JURIST] The lawyer for former Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archive] detainee Mohammed Jawad [ACLU materials; JURIST news archive] said Thursday that the Afghan citizen will sue the US government for compensation for mistreatment. Jawad, who was detained in 2002 under suspicion of throwing a grenade at US forces in Afghanistan, alleges continuous, widespread mistreatment [Al-Jazeera report] including that US soldiers made insults towards Islam and behaved in an "inhumane way." Jawad's military lawyer Major Eric Montalvo said in an interview with Al-Jazeera English that he "had concern and disgust with things taking a protracted period of time," but stopped short of calling for the prosecution of those soldiers responsible for the alleged mistreatment. Montalvo indicated he would help [AP report] Jawad's legal team, though the timetable for the suit and his exact role are not clear.

Earlier this week, Jawad was repatriated to Afghanistan [JURIST report], one month after a US district judge ordered he be released from the detention center at Guantanamo Bay. The same judge had previously suppressed all out of court statements [JURIST report] made by Jawad that may have been obtained through torture. In May, Jawad's military lawyers asked the Supreme Court of Afghanistan [JURIST report] to demand Jawad's return from the facility after President Barack Obama's announcement that Guantanamo Bay will be closed caused yet another delay in the trial.

 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.