[JURIST] Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs [official website, in Arabic] said in a statement [text, in Arabic] Sunday that US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton [official website] has promised that the US will review the files of four Kuwaiti detainees at Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archive]. Kuwaiti Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammad al-Sabah [official profile] met with Clinton on Saturday during her first visit to Kuwait as Secretary of State [JURIST news archive]. Sheikh Mohammad told Clinton that recently released information regarding interrogation techniques [JURIST report] increased America's obligation to either prosecute or release the detainees.
In October 2008, the US Department of Defense [official website] announced it had filed new war crimes charges [JURIST report] against two Kuwaiti men held at Guantanamo. In May 2008, the US military said one bomber in a series of suicide attacks in Mosul, Iraq, was a Kuwaiti who had been released [JURIST report] after three years in Guantanamo. In May 2007, a Kuwaiti appeals court upheld the acquittal of two former Guantanamo detainees, agreeing with a lower court that there was insufficient evidence to convict [JURIST reports].