2002 Bali bombers will not seek presidential pardon

[JURIST] Three Indonesian Islamic militants sentenced to death for their roles in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings [BBC backgrounder] told the lead prosecutor in the case that they will not seek a presidential pardon after they exhaust the appeals process, the prosecutor said on Monday. Lawyers for the three militants said the pardon process is distinct from the appeals process, which is ongoing [JURIST report]. The three men - Mukhlas, Amrozi, and Imam Samudra [BBC profiles] - face execution by firing squad if their appeal is not successful.

A first appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court of Indonesia late last year, prompting an unusual second appeal, which was later withdrawn [JURIST reports]. A new appeal was subsequently filed in late March. AFP has more.

 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.