Serbia indicts 14 for roles in 1991 massacre of Croats

[JURIST] Serbia's Office of the War Crimes Prosecutor [official website, in English] Thursday indicted 14 former soldiers and paramilitaries on war crimes charges in connection with the October 1991 Lovas Massacre [Wikipedia backgrounder] in Croatia, a spokesperson told Reuters. Half of those charged are in custody while the rest remain free but must report to authorities at regular intervals. In May, the Office of the War Crimes Prosecutor had confirmed it was conducting an ongoing investigation [JURIST report] in cooperation with Croatian authorities against 12 former Serb paramilitary members for their alleged role in the "torture, inhuman treatment, and killing of 70 civilians" in the Croatian town of Lovas. The prosecutor's statement followed a report that Serbian police had arrested seven former Serb paramilitaries in connection with the October 1991 massacre. Reuters has more.

Last month, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) chief prosecutor Carla Del Ponte [official profile] said Serbia must do more to apprehend fugitive war crimes suspects [JURIST report] before she can give a positive report on the country's work with the ICTY to the European Union.

 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.