Failed London bomber sentenced to 33 years in prison

[JURIST] A UK judge Tuesday sentenced Manfo Kwaku Asiedu [BBC profile] to 33 years' imprisonment for his role in the July 21, 2005 failed bomb attacks on London's transit systems [JURIST news archive]. Earlier this month, Asiedu pleaded guilty [JURIST report] to a charge of conspiracy to cause explosions and the prosecution agreed to drop the charge of conspiracy to murder. In a 2006 trial, the jury failed to reach a verdict against Asiedu, although defendants Hussein Osman, Muktar Said Ibrahim, Yassin Omar, and Ramzi Mohamed were all found guilty [JURIST reports] of conspiracy to commit murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. The judge held that although Asiedu did lie to investigators about his involvement in the plot, he did not deserve the maximum penalty of life imprisonment. Asiedu purchased 110 gallons of hydrogen peroxide for use in the bombs, but said he was an unwilling and ignorant participant in the plot.

The attempted attacks came two weeks after similar suicide bombings [BBC timeline; JURIST news archive] killed 52 people on three underground trains and a bus in London. During the trial, Asiedu testified against his co-conspirators, undermining their defense that the plot was a hoax. BBC has more.



 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.