[JURIST] California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Wednesday filed an appeal [press release] of last month's US District Court decision ruling that a 2005 law [PDF text] banning the sale of violent video games to minors was unconstitutional [opinion, PDF; JURIST report]. Schwarzenegger said that he supported the law because "many studies show the link between playing ultra-violent video games and violent behavior." District Judge Ronald Whyte of the Northern District of California ruled the bill's restrictions could not stand without evidence that violent video games are "more harmful than violent television, moves, Internet sites or other speech-related exposures." Schwarzenegger promised that an appeal would be filed [press release] when the ruling was announced last month.
Also Wednesday, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) [trade website], who brought the suit challenging the 2005 law [JURIST report], said that it has filed a motion with Whyte seeking reimbursement of $324,840 [press release] in attorney fees and expenses. ESA President Michael Gallagher said that California citizens should be outraged at their elected leaders for spending tax-payer money in defense of a law "that California's state leaders knew was unconstitutional." Reuters has more.