Toronto mayor calls for complete Canada handgun ban after latest shooting Mike Rosen-Molina at 5:47 PM ET
[JURIST] Toronto Mayor David Miller [official website] Friday condemned a Wednesday shooting at a Toronto Ontario high school that left a 15-year-old student dead and called for a complete ban on handguns to prevent similar incidents in the future. Despite an increased police presence in the city to combat gang activity, Miller admitted the Canadian metropolis has so far been unsuccessful in eliminating gun violence. He insisted the problem requires federal action to close legal loopholes that allow target shooters and gun collectors to own firearms. Miller said most of the illegal handguns confiscated in Toronto are either stolen from collectors or illegally imported from the US. Miller's call was echoed by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, who said in an open letter to federal leaders that "Handguns are designed for one purpose only -- to shoot people -- and should have no place in Ontario or anywhere in Canada." CTV News has more. Canadian Press has additional coverage.
Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible, ad-free format.