Legal news from Wednesday, March 7, 2007
16:03 EDT

[JURIST] The French Constitutional Council [official website] has upheld a law banning anyone other than professional reporters from filming or broadcasting acts of violence. Violators would face up to five years in prison and a fine of €75,000 (US$98,537). French lawmakers say the ban, proposed by Minister of the Interior [read more]

15:03 EDT

[JURIST] A Turkish court Wednesday ordered telecom providers in the country to block access to YouTube [corporate website] because of videos insulting the founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk [Turkish News profile]. The controversial videos have caused an uproar among Turks and led to prosecutors recommending the website be [read more]

14:03 EDT

[JURIST] British Muslim Abdul Muhid was convicted in London Wednesday of two counts of inciting murder at a protest outside outside the Danish embassy in London last year. Muhid and associate Anjem Choudary [Wikipedia profile] were charged [JURIST report] last May in connection with a February demonstration protesting the publication [read more]

14:03 EDT

[JURIST] A court in East Timor [JURIST news archive] Wednesday found former Interior Minister Rogerio Lobato guilty of promoting violence during the military riots in the country last year. The three judges hearing the case sentenced Lobato to seven-and-a-half years in prison for arming the militias [JURIST report] that ravaged [read more]

13:03 EDT

[JURIST] Judges appointed to the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) [official website] have begun a 10-day meeting [press release, PDF] to craft an agreement on judicial rules to govern the anticipated Khmer Rouge genocide trials [JURIST news archive]. The UN-backed ECCC, which cannot begin proceedings until the [read more]

12:03 EDT

[JURIST] The Uganda Law Society (ULS) [profession website] announced Tuesday that lawyers would initiate a three-day strike as a protest against government interference with judicial independence. Uganda's judges are currently on a week-long strike following last week's siege of the nation's High Court by security forces [JURIST report]. The lawyer [read more]

12:03 EDT

[JURIST] The US State Department [official website] announced Tuesday that once again the United States will not run [press briefing transcript; video] for a seat on the Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council [official website; JURIST news archive]. The US said last year that it would not seek election [JURIST report] [read more]

12:03 EDT

[JURIST] The North Carolina State Department of Corrections [official website] filed a lawsuit against the North Carolina Medical Board [official website] Tuesday, alleging that recent policy changes preventing doctors' participation in lethal injections prevent the corrections department from carrying out executions. Under North Carolina law, a doctor must be present [read more]

11:03 EDT

[JURIST] Italian patient's rights group Associazione Lucacoscioni [advocacy website, in Italian] said Tuesday that prosecutors have cleared [press release, in Italian] anesthesiologist Dr. Mario Riccio, the physician being investigated [JURIST report] for assisting in the December death [IHT report] of paralyzed right-to-die advocate Piergiorgio Welby [Wikipedia profile]. Shortly after Welby's [read more]

10:03 EDT

[JURIST] Reporters will not be allowed to attend hearings [JURIST report] that will determine if the 14 "high-value" terror suspects [DNI profiles, PDF] who were transferred to Guantanamo Bay from secret CIA prisons [JURIST report] last September are "enemy combatants," Defense Department officials announced [AFPS report] Tuesday. This will be [read more]

09:03 EDT

[JURIST] Native American plaintiffs in the decade-old Indian Trust case [Cobell v. Norton litigation website] have rejected a new $7 billion settlement proposal from the US government but the chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee [official website] nonetheless says he will hold a hearing later this month to provide [read more]

09:03 EDT

[JURIST] The US Department of Defense announced Tuesday that Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England [official profile] has concluded that 55 Guantanamo Bay detainees are eligible for transfer after reviewing the results of a second round [summary, PDF] of administrative review board (ARB) [DOD materials] hearings held at the US [read more]

Latest Readers

@JURISTnews

Support JURIST

We rely on our readers to keep JURIST running

 Donate now!

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.