First new Guantanamo detainee charges expected by Friday: chief prosecutor

[JURIST] New war crimes charges will be filed against Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archive] detainees beginning as early as Friday, chief prosecutor Col. Moe Davis (USAF) [official profile, PDF] said Tuesday. Davis said, however, that charges are only expected to be filed against a few of the 10 detainees who were scheduled for trial before the Supreme Court ruled in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld [opinion text] that military commissions as initially constituted lacked proper legal authorization [JURIST report]. Once the military files the war crimes charges, under the new military tribunal system [JURIST report] created when Congress passed the Military Commissions Act of 2006 (MCA) [PDF text; JURIST news archive] in September, the detainees have the right to preliminary hearings within 30 days and a jury trial within 120 days. The Pentagon's trial procedures were released earlier this month in a manual [PDF text; JURIST report] distributed on Capital Hill.

On Monday, Davis said he was very likely to recommend the death penalty [JURIST report] for some of the 14 high-value detainees [DNI backgrounder, PDF] moved to the camp [JURIST report] from CIA secret prisons in September. The first evidence is expected to be presented by this summer. AP has more.



 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.