[JURIST] Federal prosecutors have charged [press release] sixteen Bosnian Serb immigrants with immigration fraud for allegedly lying about their military experiences during the dissolution of the former Yugoslavia, the US Department of Justice [official website] announced Friday. One of those charged is accused of leading a Bosnian Serb unit that participated in the Srebrenica massacre [JURIST news archive] of Muslims in 1995. The immigrants were arrested last week in six states [UPI report] for denying involvement in the Bosnian Serb military on their applications for US residence. One was naturalized as a US citizen. The DOJ said that three of those charged are still at large.
Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Julie Myers [official profile] said that the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement [official website] "will not allow the United States to be a safe haven for those who failed to disclose their service in military forces that were known to commit atrocities." AP has more.