Guantanamo commander says most detainees no longer questioned Jaime Jansen at 12:46 PM ET
[JURIST] Rear Admiral Harry Harris [official profile], commander of the US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archive], said in remarks published Sunday that as many as 75 percent of Guantanamo inmates no longer provide the US with useful intelligence. Speaking to TIME magazine before the US Supreme Court ordered the Bush administration to halt military tribunals for detainees [JURIST report] last week, Harris said [TIME report] that those detainees - some of whom have been at Guantanamo for four years - no longer face regular questioning and that some had not been questioned for six months or more.
A European inspection team evaluating Guantanamo reported Friday that there may be only 30-40 "real" cases of terrorism [JURIST report] there and recommended that the facility be shut down by the end of 2007. The London Times has more.
Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible, ad-free format.