[JURIST] Indonesia is preparing to execute three men convicted in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings [BBC report], a spokesman from the Indonesian Attorney General's office said Wednesday. Under Indonesian law, spokesman Wayan Pasek Suarte could not disclose the location or date when the three men will be executed by firing squad, but he indicated that the government had obtained a permit for the execution and moved to change the location of the execution from Bali to Nusakambangan, the jurisdiction where the three men have been detained since their conviction two years ago. Pasek added that the office has received preliminary approval from Justice and Human Rights Minister Hamid Awaluddin [ministry website], and were waiting for formal approval. If approved, the three bombers will be executed outside of the Bali resort area where they committed the crime for safety reasons.
A lawyer representing the three bombers said he plans to appeal the executions to the Indonesian Supreme Court, saying the convictions "violated the Constitution Court's ruling that laws cannot be retroactive." The three bombers were convicted under a terrorism law enacted after the 2002 bombings took place. Victims [JURIST report] of the 2002 bombings and other protestors [JURIST report] have previously called on the government to expedite the executions of those involved in the Bali bombings, but under Indonesian law convicts and their families must be given the opportunity to pursue all avenues for appeal [JURIST report] before such a sentence is carried out. The family of one of the three men, Imam Samudra [BBC profile], announced in April that they would not pursue clemency on his behalf [JURIST report]. Last October, all three declined to seek presidential pardons [JURIST report], saying they are prepared to be executed as martyrs. Reuters has more. The Jakarta Post has local coverage.