Boston Archdiocese settlement rejected in pending sex abuse cases Krystal MacIntyre at 1:09 PM ET
[JURIST] Victims of sexual abuse by Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston [official website] priests have rejected an archdiocese settlement offer [JURIST report], lawyers said Tuesday. The proposal, which came late last month, offered average payments of $75,000 per person, and lawyers involved in the case called the payments "cruel" and "demeaning" compared to a 2003 settlement which offered average payments of $153,000 per person. The archdiocese says that it cannot afford to pay the new plaintiffs as much as before because its financial condition has deteriorated since the 2003 lawsuit over clergy sex abuse [JURIST news archive]. Reuters has more.
Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible, ad-free format.