[JURIST] An Iraqi government spokesman said Thursday that the Iraqi Special Tribunal [official website] can appoint new defense lawyers in the cases of former dictator Saddam Hussein [JURIST news archive] and his aides if the current lawyers fail to appear for the next hearing. "Defence lawyers have said they will boycott the next court hearing scheduled for November 28. The High Tribunal is the only one able to rule on this, and is free to appoint other lawyers or choose any other solution," spokesman Leith Kubba told a group of reporters. The statement comes after the murder of defense team member Adil al-Zubeidi [BBC report] Tuesday and the subsequent cessation of contact [JURIST report] between the remaining lawyers and the court. Two weeks ago, Sadoon al Janabi, a lawyer for one of Hussein's co-defendants, was kidnapped and murdered [JURIST report], prompting the other lawyers to request that the trial be moved abroad. AFP has more.
Previously in JURIST's Paper Chase...
- Saddam lawyers sever contact with Iraq court over latest lawyer murder
- ICC president says Hague has no jurisdiction over Hussein trial
- Saddam defense team asks UN to press for venue change
- Saddam lawyers announce court boycott over security demands
- Bush says Baghdad safe for Saddam trial
- Iraqi government promises heightened security for Saddam trial lawyers
- Saddam defense team demands delay or foreign trial venue after lawyer murder