[JURIST] Rep. Tom DeLay [official profile; campaign website] will appear in an Austin courtroom Friday morning to answer charges that he helped funnel corporate donations to GOP candidates for the Texas Legislature in violation of Texas state law. The appearance will be the first after DeLay voluntarily turned himself in to be booked [JURIST report] Thursday in Harris County on an arrest warrant issued [JURIST report] the day before. DeLay's first court appearance comes after three weeks of legal moves by DeLay's attorney to get the money laundering [JURIST report] and criminal conspiracy [JURIST report] charges dismissed, the prosecutor removed, and the judge replaced. DeLay was released on $10,000 bail after having his fingerprints and a smiling mug shot taken. DeLay has consistently denied [DeLay campaign website legal analysis] any wrongdoing in the matter. AP has more.
Previously in JURIST's Paper Chase...
- DeLay turned down plea bargain, says attorney
- DeLay attacks prosecutor on campaign website
- Prosecutor subpoenas DeLay telephone records
- DeLay lawyers subpoena Texas prosecutor to show improper grand jury conduct
- DeLay files motion to dismiss indictment