19,000 Serbs participated in Srebrenica massacre, government report finds

[JURIST] A Bosnian government [official website] panel said Tuesday that over 19,000 Bosnian Serbs, including policemen, army officials and civilians, participated in the July 1995 Srebrenica massacre [BBC backgrounder]. The report is based on information gained from the Serb Republic's Interior and Defense [official websites] Ministries, army headquarters and state security agency and says that participants in the massacre helped with tasks including logistics and military action. The list of participants, which the panel has been working on since 2003, identifies 17,000 by name, but does not cover their involvement or responsibility. The panel's findings will be sent to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) [official website] and to the state prosecutor's office [official website] for review. Last month, the ICTY announced that it will hold a joint trial for nine suspects [JURIST report] accused of participating in the Srebrenica massacre. Reuters has more.

 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.