No charges filed for release of Iraqi corpse photos, Army says Chris Buell at 4:14 PM ET
[JURIST] US Army investigators have not found sufficient evidence to charge any one for the release of graphic photos of Iraqi war casualties on the Internet, an Army spokesman said Wednesday. Although the Army Criminal Investigation Division [official website] is unlikely to file criminal charges, spokesman Paul Boyce said disciplinary action was possible under Article 134 [text] of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which bars behavior that undermines order and discipline. The photos, which graphically showed the remains of Iraqis allegedly killed in US attacks, were anonymously posted, leaving the Pentagon concerned that the photos may have been released by US soldiers. News reports earlier this week suggested soldiers were trading the corpse pictures for access to online pornography. The Council on American-Islamic Relations [advocacy website] protested the photos [CAIR news release] in a letter to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld on Tuesday. AP has more.
Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible, ad-free format.