[JURIST] The White House said late Friday evening that former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik has withdrawn his nomination as homeland security secretary. Kerik said in a statement that "In the course of completing documents required for Senate confirmation, I uncovered information that now leads me to question the immigration status of a person who had been in my employ as a housekeeper and nanny". The full text of Kerik's statement is here. President Bush had announced Kerik's nomination only last week. Kerik had also been criticized in the press for profiting from his work with companies he would have contracted with as head of the Department of Homeland Security. Current Secretary Tom Ridge has said he will remain in the position until a successor is appointed. Bloomberg has more.