September 14, 2013
by Matthew Pomy
A judge for the US District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled Friday that the US government does not have to release photographs and videotapes taken during the investigation of Mohammed al-Qahtani's connection to the September 11 attacks. Al-Qahtani was held in Guantanamo Bay ...[read more]
March 10, 2013
by Cynthia Miley
A Saudi Arabian criminal court in Riyadh on Saturday sentenced two Saudi Arabian human rights activists on to at least 10 years in prison. The activists were found guilty earlier that day of sedition, providing foreign media with inaccurate information, founding and operating an unlicensed human ...[read more]
January 10, 2012
by Max Slater
The Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed a lawsuit on Monday seeking the release of videotapes of the interrogation of an inmate held at the Guantanamo Bay prison. The CCR filed the lawsuit in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York on behalf of Mohammed al-Qahtani, a ...[read more]
January 14, 2009
by Kayleigh Shebs
The convening authority of military commissions Susan Crawford has said that torture tactics were used in the interrogation of Mohammed al-Qahtani, a suspect held at Guantanamo Bay under allegations of connections to the 9/11 attacks, according to a Wednesday interview in the Washington Post. ...[read more]
October 22, 2008
by Caitlin Price
The US Department of Defense announced Tuesday that the Office of Military Commissions Convening Authority has dismissed charges without prejudice against five Guantanamo Bay detainees. Noor Uthman Mohammed, Binyam Mohammed, Sufyiam Barhoumi, Ghassan Abdullah al Sharbi, and Jabran Said Bin al ...[read more]
May 20, 2008
by Mike Rosen-Molina
A Guantanamo Bay detainee accused of involvement in the September 11 attacks attempted to commit suicide last month, his lawyer said Tuesday. Mohammad al-Qahtani, a Saudi Arabian citizen known as the 20th hijacker for his alleged role in 9/11, was reportedly upset about charges brought... ...[read more]
May 13, 2008
by Abigail Salisbury
Death penalty charges against Guantanamo detainees Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other men allegedly involved in planning the September 11, 2001 terror attacks on the United States have been confirmed by the Convening Authority for the US military commissions and sent to defense lawyers, the ...[read more]
February 17, 2008
by Eric Firkel
Paul Rester, chief military interrogator at Guantanamo Bay and director of the Joint Intelligence Group, said in an interview with AP published Saturday that most of the intelligence obtained from detainees at the prison has come through non-coercive questioning and rapport building, not... ...[read more]
September 8, 2007
by Katerina Ossenova
Mohammed al-Qahtani, the so-called 20th hijacker from the Sept. 11 attacks, has disclaimed his confession about his participation in the terrorist attacks, alleging that his statements were coerced by US torture. In documents obtained by the Associated Press Friday through the Freedom of... ...[read more]
March 3, 2006
by James M Yoch Jr
Mohammed al-Qahtani, the so-called 20th hijacker from the Sept. 11 attacks, has disclaimed information he provided about 30 Guantanamo Bay detainees, alleging that the statements were coerced by torture, TIME magazine reported Friday. Qahtani was refused entry into the US in August 2001... ...[read more]

Support JURIST

We rely on our readers to keep JURIST running

 Donate now!

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.